CRANBERRY CHICKEN

When I first saw this recipe, I was skeptical, not only because there were only a few ingredients, but because it called for cooking with cranberry sauce. However, my husband adores cranberry sauce, so I gave it a try and we were pleasantly surprised. I thought it was a tad on the sweet side, but hubby thought it was perfect. The tapioca is a MUST in this recipe, as it makes the sauce nice and thick. I will definitely make again!

CRANBERRY CHICKEN

6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
(1) 16 ounce can whole cranberry sauce
2 tablespoons dry onion soup mix
2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
½ teaspoon black pepper
3 cups hot cooked rice
In small bowl, mix cranberry sauce, soup mix, tapioca and black pepper. In 4 quart crockpot, place 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or legs). Pour cranberry mixture over the chicken. Cover and cook on low heat for 5 to 6 hours. Serve over hot cooked rice.


NOTE: The next time I cook this, I plan to quarter the chicken thighs to make them easier to serve and eat. I am also thinking about adding just a little orange zest.

ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS IN COMMENT SECTION: This gravy does not have a strong cranberry taste, it's taste is mildly fruity. The tapioca thickens the chicken gravy in this recipe but you can not see any textural evidence of the tapioca. It just eliminates the necessity of thickening the gravy with flour or cornstarch, which is handy.

Bookmark and Share